Dorothy Must Die Review

   Author: Danielle Paige Publishing Date: April 1st, 2014 Series: Dorothy Must Die #1 Genre: Fantasy, young adult, retelling...



  
Author: Danielle Paige
Publishing Date: April 1st, 2014
Series: Dorothy Must Die #1
Genre: Fantasy, young adult, retelling
Page Count: 452

FIND IT ELSEWHERE 
Goodreads - Barnes and Nobles - Amazon

I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.
But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado—taking you with it—you have no choice but to go along, you know?
Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little blue birds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still the yellow brick road, though—but even that's crumbling.
What happened?
Dorothy. They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.
My name is Amy Gumm—and I'm the other girl from Kansas.
I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.
I've been trained to fight. And I have a mission: Remove the Tin Woodman's heart. Steal the Scarecrow's brain. Take the Lion's courage. Then and only then—Dorothy must die!


REVIEW
What I loved:
The premise! I was so excited to read this book. There was/is so much hype going around, that I just had to pick it up. I love the story of Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz. I loved the idea that Dorothy turned bad, and Oz went to crap. The whole place kind of had a Tim Burton feel to it. I liked how the author didn't shy away from sharing the gross, battle, bloody details. Some parts were sooo soo good. Especially when it came to the Scarecrow (the scariest/most well written character in my opinion). He had just the right amount of mystery and creepy. And I felt really bad for the Tin Man. He was written beautifully, and he was so scary and terrifying and then at the end of the story, a, uh, event happens that made me feel a twinge of pity. Oh! And Dorothy! Dorothy. I love how twisted Danielle Paige made her. Like, at one point, I was legitimately afraid of Dorothy. She made me shudder. This freak of nature farm girl had somebody killed, and then had the Scarecrow magically walk the corpse around like some sort of sick puppet. 
I liked the twist at the end of the story (really loved that. Seriously the last 10% of the book was the best part. THAT was flawless), and the whole IDEA of the story... But that was it. The premise caught my attention. Some of the writing lost me.
Which brings me to...

What I hated:
I think Amy Gumm herself can sum up my entire thought process while reading this book. In the words of the main character, "A big part of me was exhausted, wary, and above all confused.

Love Interest: I am not a picky person when it comes to romance. I read books to be entertained. I tend to keep an open mind about things. This couple, though, I couldn't ignore how horribly canned they were. It was so unbelievable and forced! I've never felt that way about a fictional couple before now. The guy was just conveniently THERE, he was hot, and he had a mysterious past.  There was no growth to their relationship. Just the whole thing was rushed and rubbed me the wrong way.


The Mysteries: Or should I say, lack of information? I'm not a quick person when it comes to plots. I'm just along for the ride, and don't think too far ahead. With this story, though, I called one of the biggest twists halfway through the story. And NOBODY in the book would answer any of Amy's questions. I understand that it was supposed to add mystery, but it just frustrated me. The author had Amy ask questions too early, or really stupid questions. The other characters would never answer her, or give her any straight answers, or just... ANY INFORMATION! AND THEN THEY HAD THE GALL TO GET ANGRY AT AMY FOR MESSING UP A MISSION THAT THEY GAVE HER NO INSTRUCTIONS ON! WHICH MADE ME THROW THE BOOK ACROSS THE ROOM AND STRESS EAT CHOCOLATE CHIPS!!

The Details: I mentioned earlier that some of the details pertaining to the battle scenes were really good. The author did great with those. However, on all the other scenes, she totally dropped the ball. There was a LOT of telling and hardly any showing. The whole time I read this, I just couldn't get lost in the story... because I didn't know what to think or feel. Yes, the MC shared her feelings, but I didn't feel connected to them. Yes, the author described the surroundings, but she did it in such a factual way, like: there was the sky... it was bright blue... and the, uh, Oz... that part was dull, because a lack of magic or something. It's like the entire story was a sketched landscape. There was enough for me to SEE what was happening, but there was no color. I couldn't get a good image in my head. I may just be picky about details, but for me, I would have appreciated a LOT more of them.

I give it a three, because though I liked it, there were some things that I hated. On a good day, I'd give this a four. On a bad day, a two. This story doesn't deserve a one, but giving it five stars is just right out. 
Pick up the book :) Looking back on my review, I realize it's a bit harsh, but that's just because I'm pointing out the bad. I would point out the good, but there were too many parts too choose from, and I don't want to give spoilers. This story was entertaining. Frustrating, yes, but nonetheless, the idea is still amazing. I'll never watch Wizard of Oz the same way again. I won't be able to stop thinking about what a bitch Dorothy turns out to be xD

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I haven't heard the best reviews for this one, and it makes me nervous. I love the Wizard of Oz. I even picked up this book on its release day. But I've been holding off on reading it because I'm afraid of a let down. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said in my review, the story was entertaining :) If you read it without being too critical, then you'll enjoy it. Read it, girl! Get it on the action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Nox description XD
    (secret: when I was younger, and twilight first came out . . . I might of had a major crush on him and made my mom get me the little toys in the kids meal because Taylor Lautner was in them...and he was shark boy in "Shark boy and lava girl...thats how it all started...) (Dont tell no one! it's our lil' secret *winks*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a major Team Jacob girl xD AND SHARK BOY AND LAVA GIRL IS NOW ON NETFLIX

      Delete