Howl's Moving Castle

The title of this book may sound familiar to many of you. Written by Diana Wynne Jones, this fantastic book was adapted into a movie b...


Sophie & Howl how they look in the book. He is even wearing the patchwork blue and silver suit.:

The title of this book may sound familiar to many of you. Written by Diana Wynne Jones, this fantastic book was adapted into a movie by Miyazaki. 

Sadly, most people don't realise that it was originally a book. And oh what a book it is. Though the movie is also wonderful, the book has a magic all of its own. It's incredible, and for me it quickly became one of my all-time favourites.

The book follows a young hat maker named Sophie. Being the eldest of three sisters, Sophie is doomed to never find success. As her sisters head off to find their own fortunes, Sophie remains with the shop, resigning herself to her fate. However, after being suddenly cursed by the Witch of the Waste, she leaves home and sets off on an adventure.

At first shy and nervous, Sophie comes out of her shell and becomes a spit-fire with a temper not even the Wizard Howl can deal with. Howl is too busy wooing women to really bother with her anyways, and young Michael learns to enjoy the company while his master is away, even if Sophie is a lean mean cleaning machine that drives them crazy sometimes. Calcifer the demon doesn't really seem to mind her all that much either.

Together they make an odd bunch, and when you bring in all the other characters that come and go from the story, you get an even odder group and an incredibly intricate plot with twists you'll never see coming. There are many things to adore about this book. Be it the characters, the plot, the whimsical light writing style, there's nothing not to love about it. 

Whether you saw the movie or not, you'll find yourself quickly engrossed in this fantastical story. 

Peace, love, and creampuffs~
Chrys 

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I loved the movie, but it wasn't until maybe 2 years ago did I realize that it was a book! And this sounds so good! I know that it is completely different from the movie in some ways, but I think I would still love it anyways. I need to find a way to get this from the library or buy it or something :)

    Awesome review! I'm glad you enjoyed this! Did you read this because you enjoyed the movie, or did you read it before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH I LOVE HOWLS MOVING CASTLE! I don't think I've ever read the book but I love the movie so much, Howl is perfection! It's so well done and funny and the characters are lovable ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed it as a book, though I noticed how different it was from the movie. The movie is one of my favorites of all time, I will never get tired of watching it, even in the English dub version! ^_^ Then again, I love pretty much anything made by Studio Ghibli XD

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a gigantic fan of both the book and the movie (I have a tattoo of the scorch mark from the movie, and I'm scheming to cosplay Howl for an anime convention) so I freaked when Chrys told me she was reading the book. I saw the movie first, which did effect how I pictured the characters, but the book is just as marvelous in its own right. It's honestly amazing. Plus, there's two companion books to it! Castle In The Air and The House of Many Ways. They aren't specifically about Sophie and Howl, but they're featured prominently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never read the books although I knew the movie was base on them. I will definitely give them a try because Howl's Moving Castle is one of my favorite movie (English subbed).

    ReplyDelete